FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you don't see an answer to your question below kindly email us at email@example.com
or Whatsapp us at +60 14-974 6885
1. How many concerts does SSYO perform in a year?
Answer: SSYO performs 3 major concerts a year and these concerts normally take place in April, July, and mid-December. In addition, we also perform in outreach events. In the past, we had performed at the dementia and orphanage center, Chiristmas concert at shopping malls and fundraising events for the NGOs.
2. Is there a closing date for the application?
Answer: Currently there is no closing date for our application as we take new players all year round. However, applicants who submit the application near our concert date will only be considered for enrolment when our next concert cycle starts.
3. Who will listen to my audition videos?
Answer: The audition panel, which consists of SSYO conductors and coaches who will watch and listen to all audition videos.
4. I am a violinist, how do I know I shall audition for violin I or violin II?
Answer: Please check out our audition pieces listed on our website and consult with your violin teacher prior to applying, as your violin teacher will have the best idea of which section (violin I or violin II) will be the most appropriate for you and your level.
5. Do I need to come for a live audition? Or do I only submit videos?
Answer: You will not be required to come to play for a live audition. All applicants only submit audition videos.
6. Can I edit my audition video?
Answer: No editing (cuts, cropping, etc.) is permitted for the audition video.
7. How do I submit the audition video?
Answer: All applicants have the choice to submit the audition video from ONE of the following:
2) upload in Google Drive and email to us
3) You may also send audition videos via Whatsapp to us at +6014-974-6885
8. How will I know my audition result?
Answer: You shall receive your audition result about three to four days after the submission of your video.
9. Can I have feedback on my audition?
Answer: Unfortunately we do not provide any audition feedback for the applicants, their parents or teachers.
10. Do current members re-audition each year?
Answer: Yes. Current players' positions may change from year to year as they progress at their own pace.
12. What if I do not get into the orchestra I am applying to?
Answer: The act of auditioning is an accomplishment and we hope that you enjoy and learn something from the experience. We want to stay in touch with you throughout the year, so you should expect to receive invitations to attend our concerts, workshops, music camp, and other events which may benefit you.
13. Can parents sit in the weekly rehearsals?
Answer: We regret to inform you that no parents are allowed to sit in our rehearsals.
14. I don't have an instrumental teacher and I am not taking weekly lessons, can I still join your orchestra but will practice on my own?
Answer: It is mandatory that all SSYO members must have a private instrumental teacher so that he/she can keep up with the music.
15. What do I need to bring to the weekly rehearsals?
Answer: All members will need to bring the following to the weekly orchestra rehearsals: 1) your instrument, 2) sheet music in music folder, 3) music stand, 4) pencil with eraser
16. Is your weekly rehearsal compulsory? What if in some weeks I can't make it?
Answer: Yes, weekly rehearsal is compulsory for all members. Members will need to apply for leave in the event of an illness or unavoidable conflict. Due to group class participation, there is no replacement lesson to be made from any absence.
17. What is the time commitment for joining your orchestra?
Answer: An orchestra is a team that needs every member to pull his/her weight and we require our members to join our orchestras with enthusiasm and commitment. To accomplish this, all members must be committed to attend our weekly rehearsals, activities, and to perform in all our concerts.
18. What if I join the orchestra and later find that I have a conflict or do not enjoy the experience?
Answer: Within the first three (3) rehearsals, members who withdraw from the orchestra receive a
prorated fee. No refunds will be given after this three-week period. Please note that the application & assessment fee is non-refundable.